Skip to main content

BlogWrite Lite vs BlogSpace

Bloggers often look for the best way to keep their blogs up to date in whatever way they can think of. With iPhone, iPod and iPads coming to view, I would expect that developers would jump into the wagon of building blogging apps for bloggers. I am not really a paid app fanatic, I settle for free apps that satisfies what I need. So I ended up searching iTunes for free apps that could enable blogging on my portable device. The result were not encouraging. No need to shortlist a very short list of results.

First on the list is the BlogWriter Lite. Its a simple app and very light at 1.3MB size. The installation is almost as fast as other light apps we have in the iTunes cloud.  Setting up your account is a breeze. Username and password is required and there are 4 available blog type to choose from : Blogger.com, Wordpress.com, Self-host WordPress Blog, and Others. after choosing the blog type, user needs to provide the blog URL and the port number to be used. Once set, you are ready to log in.  Since I am a blogger, i use blogger.com that is, logging in to your account means accessing all the blogs you have created under blogger. You must select only 1 from the list of blogs you have to continue. The screen has 4 major menus to choose from : My Blog, New Post, My Feeds, Feeds Directory. For bloggers who is not fond of reading feeds, the first two menus are for you. Unfortunately, if it is your first time to use the app, you need to refresh the list of blogs in My Blogs to enable the app to download your posts. My Blogs list your blog post, it enables the user to view and delete your post. Unfortunately, you can not view comments to your post. New Post allows the creation of a new post. The creating a new post  is not as flexible as I have expected. First, the keyboard is always in portrait mode and second, it does not allow you to categorize your post. Selecting send would post/publish your blog. Yes, no spell checking is available. 


BlogSpace is another free app that I am trying out to manage my blog. This is a tool targeting bloggers for Google. No set up for URLs or port numbers, just log in with your google account ID.  The app displays all the available blogs you have created. To post to a particular blog,  select it and you are ready to go. The app is more flexible than BlogWrite. First, it has a capability to preview your post. Second, you can insert photos and videos. Unfortunately, similar to BlogWrite, categorizing your post is not an option and the keyboard is always in portrait mode. And yes, no spell checking is available.

I am not evaluating Wordpress for the main reason that I do not have any blog hosted on Wordpress.com. Basing on my test run, I  will go for Blogspace if you are a blogger user.Below are my reasons:
1. BlogSpace let me select any of my blogs in blogger. BlogWrite allows only 1, you need to delete your account and redo the registration process again to select another blog from your blogger account.
2. BlogSpace allows the insertion of image or video to your post.
3. It has preview capability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Started with Stateless : A Lightweight Workflow Library Alternative for .NET

Image Credit: https://www.pioneerrx.com A year ago, I was looking for a simple workflow manager for a project I was working. Its a medium sized application that involves tracking the state of assets in the system. Back in 2008, Microsoft (MS) introduced new technologies along with the release of Visual Studio 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and  Windows Workflow Foundation (WF). Having worked in a company utilizing mostly MS products for development, my first option was to go with WF. After doing some time reading and studying the library, I paused and decided it was too complex for my requirement. Using WF would be an overkill and the fact that it has, a rather, steep learning curve, there has to be another option. My mind toyed with the idea of developing a simple workflow library myself. It would be a learning experience but it might end up consuming a lot of time. Why reinvent the wheel? So I started querying the inte

Hiding Unwanted Python Folders and Files in Visual Studio Code

Visual Studio Code is a universal editor and pretty good at it. However, the explorer view maybe cluttered with the automatically generated folders and files confusing developers. Python is no different. Below are example files and folders generated by Python. The __pycache__ folder and *.pyc files  are totally unnecessary to the developer. To hide these files from the explorer view, we need to edit the settings.json for VSCode. Add the folder and the files as shown below: Copy and paste the lines below : "**/*.pyc" : { "when" : "$(basename).py" }, "**/__pycache__" : true

My First Blog for 2009

Im starting 2009 with a blog on foods. Since my 4 months voluntary exile in the US (hahaha), I started cooking ( full time! ) so Google is my cookbook and I am the chef ( sort of ). Yesterday , I was looking forward for another experiment on the kitchen lab (it gets messy sometimes) . What I have ? Pork belly , Chinese Okra , Squash . I was having doubts on whether the Chinese Okra is the same thing as the vegetable I know from the province , "kabatiti" . So after searching for "kabatiti" on the net , Google returned some informative links on some Ilocano Foods which made my day . Listed below are some Ilocano food worth mentioning . Abrao or Inabrao - assorted seasonal vegetables, typically malunggay, and that quintessentially Ilocano vegetable, saluyot, boiled in a bagoong and fish broth Ipon—tiny fish in season during the cold months Poki-Poki (also poqui-poqui), an innocent omelet made of eggplant sautéed with garlic, onions, tomatoes, and eggs Kabat