I must admit, I am a fanatic. My virtual day start with Google and ends with Google. So when I came accross some fun facts about it, I have to share it. So feast on the list taken from different sources (other sources may be unreliable) , I just got those that made me smile.
- The name "Google" was an accident. A spelling mistake by the original founders who thought they were going for "Googol". Fellow graduate student Sean Anderson suggested Google creator Larry Page and Sergey Brin name their site "Googolplex". Page suggested they shorten it to "Googol" , which refers to the number 1 followed by 100 zeroes. Anderson mstyped "Googol" as "Google", which was an available name.
- The first Google storeage was made from LEGO. See article here.
- Google originated from the Stanford School of Engineering as an attempt to catalog and analyze the World Wide Web. It first ran at Stanford with the user name "google.stanford.edu".
- Google's homepage has been known for its simplicity. The simplicity and minimal design is one of the major reasons why Google became more popular than their competitors like MSN, Yahooo and AltaVista. The minimal design was actually created because of the limited knowledge that Google founders Page and Brin had of HTML.
- According to Justin , writing for http://Minyanville.com, later in 1999, two graduate students at Stanford University, Sergey Brin andLarry Page, decided that Google, the search engine they had developed, was taking up time they should have been using to study. They went to Bell and offered it to him for $1 million, but Bell rejected the offer, and later threw Vinod Khosla, one of Excite's venture capitalists, out of his office after he had negotiated Brin and Page down to $750,000. Excite's refusal to buy what became a $180 billion company by 2010 was labeled by Rohrlich a "stupid business decision".
- Google.com is the most used domain to check if internet connection is working due to its fast loading time and minimal design.
- Google's first ever twitter post was a satisfyingly geeky as you could hope for . The message was sent in February 2009, reads “I’m 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 01111001 00001010.” which reads : "I'm feeling lucky."
- Most Google users never use the "I'm feeling lucky" button. But trials of removing the button made people feel uncomfortable. People did not like seeing the button removed.
- While all the companies want the users to stay longer on their site, Google search wants its user to stay on it for the minimal amount of time. That is their driving force.
- Google rents out goats. Yes you read that right. It rents goats from a company called California Grazing to help cut down the amount of weeds and brush at Google HQ.
- A Google employee is named a “Googler” while a new team member is called a "Noogler".
So there you go, something to share to other Google users. To cap it off, I have embedded below the first video that Google made to promote application development using the Android platform. Of course we all know what happened next :-)