Skip to main content

Can you live on a 100MB data allowance for 30 days?

If you are a smartphone user relying only on WiFi connectivity to connect to the internet then you are lucky. Unfortunately, a lot of users wanted the extra mobility to access the internet on the go for quick browsing, traffic and weather updates, instant messaging and  to access their social networks.  However,  data has become a prime commodity and being online 24/7 can be expensive. Fortunately in the Philippines, service providers have been offering special deals and promotions on data connectivity. Gone were the days where unlimited call and text is all you need. Most offers now include data allowances. Some are generous and some are just too little to be usable. Are these offerings enough to get you through a month?



To find out if I can live on a 100MB paid data for a month, I registered to one of my service providers offer.  The offer is 100MB data for 30 days for only PHP 99.00.  For 30 days, I went on with my usual surfing habits,  I used my phone to check for traffic, access NBA , ESPN  and MLB score updates, do occasional search, listen to music, instant messaging and visit my social network. For the first 2 weeks I have also my  background data enabled to support push notifications. After 30 days, I still have at least 5MB of free data remaining.


So does this answer my initial question? Literally a resounding yes! However, I have to disagree. Using Microsoft's Data Sense on Windows Phone  ( yes I'm on WP baby!), I listed my  data consumption per application as shown in the table.
Data per application via Data Sense

In total, my consumption reached almost 1 GB of data in 30 days. How come I have still at least 5MB remaining out of the 100MB when my subscription expired? What I failed to tell you at the start is that the data promo offered by my service provider includes the following:

100 MB of Data
1 Gigabytes of Spotify Access
Unlimited Facebook
Unlimited Viber

Thus, without those other freebies , the 100 MB data allocation should have been gone on the first week of my subscription. 
     
While the idea of being able to live on a 100MB data allowance for 30 days seems not too possible for me, the exercise taught me three important things:

  • I became more aware of what applications on my phone is consuming data and how much are they consuming. This knowledge will give you a better plan on how to allocate your allowance for the month.  In my part, the information that I got lead me to uninstall some apps that were data hungry. 
  • It highlighted the importance of switching off the Background Data at your phone. While this disables push notifications and you wont be able to receive emails or instant messages unless you open and refresh the apps, this also saves you from unnecessary data downloads. Take note that SMS and phone calls will still be received in real time. 
  • It showed me the importance of knowing how to switch ON/OFF your mobile data. This will give you the ability to easily turn it off when not needed. For those going out of the country, it is also a good thing to know how to disable mobile data while on roaming.

I still remember the days when all I have to worry about is the number of remaining calling minutes or SMS in my mobile phone. Times have changed and with the emergence of smartphones and mobile internet connections, the usage has shifted from regular call and SMS to  browsing, data calling, music and video streaming, social networks and instant messaging.  Thus, managing you data consumption is also becoming a necessity to avoid unwanted charges from your service provider.

How much data do you consume in a month and do you monitor your data consumption on your mobile phone? If you have tips and tricks that you may want to share, feel free to visit the comments section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Started with Stateless : A Lightweight Workflow Library Alternative for .NET

Image Credit: https://www.pioneerrx.com A year ago, I was looking for a simple workflow manager for a project I was working. Its a medium sized application that involves tracking the state of assets in the system. Back in 2008, Microsoft (MS) introduced new technologies along with the release of Visual Studio 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and  Windows Workflow Foundation (WF). Having worked in a company utilizing mostly MS products for development, my first option was to go with WF. After doing some time reading and studying the library, I paused and decided it was too complex for my requirement. Using WF would be an overkill and the fact that it has, a rather, steep learning curve, there has to be another option. My mind toyed with the idea of developing a simple workflow library myself. It would be a learning experience but it might end up consuming a lot of time. Why reinvent the wheel? So I started querying the inte

Hiding Unwanted Python Folders and Files in Visual Studio Code

Visual Studio Code is a universal editor and pretty good at it. However, the explorer view maybe cluttered with the automatically generated folders and files confusing developers. Python is no different. Below are example files and folders generated by Python. The __pycache__ folder and *.pyc files  are totally unnecessary to the developer. To hide these files from the explorer view, we need to edit the settings.json for VSCode. Add the folder and the files as shown below: Copy and paste the lines below : "**/*.pyc" : { "when" : "$(basename).py" }, "**/__pycache__" : true

My First Blog for 2009

Im starting 2009 with a blog on foods. Since my 4 months voluntary exile in the US (hahaha), I started cooking ( full time! ) so Google is my cookbook and I am the chef ( sort of ). Yesterday , I was looking forward for another experiment on the kitchen lab (it gets messy sometimes) . What I have ? Pork belly , Chinese Okra , Squash . I was having doubts on whether the Chinese Okra is the same thing as the vegetable I know from the province , "kabatiti" . So after searching for "kabatiti" on the net , Google returned some informative links on some Ilocano Foods which made my day . Listed below are some Ilocano food worth mentioning . Abrao or Inabrao - assorted seasonal vegetables, typically malunggay, and that quintessentially Ilocano vegetable, saluyot, boiled in a bagoong and fish broth Ipon—tiny fish in season during the cold months Poki-Poki (also poqui-poqui), an innocent omelet made of eggplant sautéed with garlic, onions, tomatoes, and eggs Kabat